BARTOW COUNTY, Ga. - The work to transform an intersection at Hamilton Crossing Elementary was supposed to be finished by Back 2 School today.
But still a lot of work to do.
Another roundabout outside another Bartow Elementary and High School is also not finished, but it’s open to traffic this morning.
Bartow County school officials have been talking about changing the roads around this elementary school in the middle of Hamilton Crossing park for years.
The county finally came through and started this summer to create a roundabout to ease congestion and make it safer.
Traffic, especially after school, would get backed trying to turn left.
“Once you get it, it’s great. Really helps to alleviate some of the traffic congestion issues, so sure that’s what they’re trying to do here at the school,” said driver Debbie Gaines.
Work also continues at a new circular intersection on Cass White Road, leading to White elementary and Cass High School.
But it is now open for drivers this first day back, even if they have to finish the final paving and landscaping over the next few weeks.
County planners said the old T-intersection made for dangerous left hand-hand turns near the schools. They’re hoping parents and teen drivers will catch on to the new configuration quickly.
“Didn’t take long to figure it out. I like it,” said one driver.
RELATED BACK 2 SCHOOL STORIES:
- Thousands of school supplies donated during Channel 2's 'Stuff the Bus' event
- Parents, students get first look at brand new, $85M high school
- Back 2 School in July? First school district went back to class already
The high school is even bringing in a traffic engineer today to talk to students there about how to navigate a roundabout.
Work on this one should last another eight to 10 weeks.
Until then, the school’s made alternative plans to move the buses and carpool around the construction.
WHAT CAN YOU GET ONLY ON CHANNEL 2 ACTION NEWS THIS MORNING?
- New and updated hour-by-hour weather forecasts pinpointing the timing of rain today and rainfall amounts through the rest of the week.
- LIVE Triple Team Traffic reports every 10 minutes to give you the latest information about crashes, construction and backups along your route for a smoother commute.
- LIVE Team 2 Coverage of the school districts starting class today, what students can expect and what it means for your community.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.