• Girl severely burned by grease has ‘graduation' ceremony

    By: Tom Jones


    ATLANTA - A 4-year-old girl left in a coma after a house fire is back home. 

    Caliyah Ross went home Tuesday after spending weeks at Grady Memorial Hospital, and staff held an extra special ceremony for the 4-year-old before her discharge.

    Ross had been looking forward to her Pre-K graduation ceremony. She had taken pictures in her cap and gown.

    Then, she was burned in a house fire.

    Ross suffered 3rd degree burns to her face and arms after her uncle was discarding a pan of hot fish grease.

    It caught fire, and the flames tore into the 4-year-old.

    “It was a fire, you know, it was a fire that happened,” said her mother Latoya Heyward.


    The pain was so intense doctors placed her in a medically-induced coma. Then she began to get better.

    “She just looked like she was in pain but some days I would go to the ICU and ask her if she was in pain and she would shake her head and say, ‘No,’” Heyward said.

    After rigorous speech and physical therapy, Channel 2’s Tom Jones was there when Ross recovered enough to be discharged.

    Her family said a higher power made it happen.

    “Literally she's been in here for about a month and he literally restored her back to health,” Heyward said.

    Before she left on Tuesday, the hospital arranged a special graduation ceremony since Caliyah couldn't make her own.

    The scars remain on her body.

    Celebrity painter Antoine Donte painted a mural to remind Ross how beautiful she was and is. He included a scripture.

    “It says, ‘For I will restore health to you and I will heal your wounds says the Lord,’” Heyward said.

    Ross still has a long road to recovery.

    She can't be out in the direct sunlight, so she will have to stay inside this summer.

    You can donate to the family HERE.

    Next Up: