• APS: Bathroom fire blamed for smoke at elementary school

    Updated:

    ATLANTA - Atlanta Public Schools officials said a fire in a bathroom at Continental Colony Elementary School was the source of smoke that forced an evacuation Wednesday morning.

    A police spokesman told Channel 2 Action News there were reports of "smoke and liquid" inside the school on Hogan Road just after 8 a.m.  Students waited outside as the school was evacuated.


    Someone set fire to toilet paper in the boys bathroom at continental colony elem. all clear now! Sprinklers did go off.

     

    — Ryan Young (@TVRyanYoung) April 24, 2013


     

    Channel 2's Ryan Young is at the school gathering details about the investigation.

    APS spokesman Steve Alford said it appears that toilet paper was set on fire in a kindergarten bathroom, which triggered the sprinkler system, resulting in water in sections of the building.

    Alford said there were no reports of injuries and there was minor damage inside of the building.

    Alford said CRCT testing was supposed to start Wednesday, but it has been postponed until Thursday.

    Investigators are trying to determine who started the fire.

    Refresh this page and stay with Channel 2 Action News for updates on this developing story.

    Next Up:


  • Headline Goes Here

    APS: Bathroom fire blamed for smoke at elementary school

  • Headline Goes Here

    Widespread showers Sunday afternoon, into evening

  • Headline Goes Here

    4 dead, several hurt in Waffle House shooting near Nashville

  • Headline Goes Here

    Police: Deadly-double shooting sparked by argument over gambling

  • Headline Goes Here

    Hundreds pay respects to CDC worker found dead weeks after disappearing