FORSYTH COUNTY. Ga. - Authorities said a couple found dead on a boat on Lake Lanier in Forsyth County appeared to have suffered carbon monoxide poisoning.
The bodies of 40-year-old Julie Wright and 39-year-old Andrew Maronge, both of Gainesville, were found around 8 p.m. Monday, investigators said.
Jenny Belafi, with the Forsyth County Sheriff's Office, said Georgia Department of Natural Resources rangers were asked to do a welfare check after the couple failed to contact family.
The rangers found the 24-foot Bayliner cabin cruiser anchored off the Three Sisters Island chain and the couple dead in the front cabin.
Belafi said no foul play is suspected. She said it appears the couple died from carbon monoxide poisoning, though that won't be definitive until the autopsies are complete.
Family and friends have started a GoFundMe account to raise money for the Maronge's son. CLICK HERE for details.
According to the GoFundMe account, Wright and Maronge were engaged. Maronge had a son, Riley, and Wright had two daughters, Alex and Kylie.
"They will be missed but we are confident that they are both with Jesus now," Maronge's brother wrote on the GoFundMe account.
Every year, people on boats are poisoned by carbon monoxide fumes. Often, they aren't aware of the danger they are in.
Carbon monoxide smothers red blood cells, preventing oxygen from moving through one’s body.
On a boat, it can come from the engine or a generator for air conditioning or heat. It quickly escalates if there isn't sufficient ventilation.
DNR ranger Chris Hall said all cabin-enclosed boats should have carbon monoxide detectors, and they should be checked frequently to make sure they have fresh batteries and are operating a peak efficiency.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.