• Massive fire destroys family business


    TUCKER, Ga. - DeKalb firefighters are working to put out hot spots at a hardware store more than 10 hours after the landmark business was destroyed by fire.

    Investigators said they were called to Handy's ACE Hardware on Cowan Road just before 7 p.m. Friday with a report the building was on fire.

    Firefighters said they found the building fully engulfed. They told Channel 2's Craig Lucie they could hear propane tanks exploding in the back of the building.  Crews had to keep at least 40 feet away in order to remain safe during the fire that was so intense the building collapsed on itself.

    Firefighters told Lucie they had issues with water pressure in the area, and had to string long lines of fire hoses when trying to put out the flames.

    Investigators told Lucie no one was injured in the incident and they are still trying to determine a cause.

    Witnesses at the scene of the fire told Lucie Handy's Hardware was a true neighborhood ACE hardware store and was going to be a big loss to the community.

    The store owner's son said the business had been in the family since 1982 and that they relocated to the building four years ago.  The ACE hardware in Tucker was also the largest store location in the United States, officials said.

    Check back for updates.


    Next Up:

  • Headline Goes Here

    Massive fire destroys family business

  • Headline Goes Here

    Firefighter-to-Masters golfer: Talk about a Hollywood story!

  • Headline Goes Here

    NYC firefighter killed on movie set promoted posthumously