Atlanta toddler fighting for life after swallowing button batteries

ATLANTA — A Georgia mother is issuing an urgent warning to parents about the dangers of batteries after her 1-year-old swallowed them.

Angelica Hill’s daughter, Salima Sulemana, is currently in the intensive care unit at Children’s Hospital of Atlanta after she swallowed two button batteries on Nov. 23. The batteries released acid, causing significant damage to Salmina’s esophagus.

Button batteries are small and can be found in watches, toys and greeting cards.

[DOWNLOAD: Free WSB-TV News app for alerts as news breaks]

“Can you all look around your house for button batteries in items and secure them right away!” Hill wrote in a series of updates on Facebook. “Don’t wait until tomorrow. Don’t throw away old batteries in the trash like I did.”

Hill wrote that moisture can activate the battery if it is swallowed, releasing battery acid which can eat away at tissues and arteries. Hill wrote that doctors are worried the acid could seep into her aorta.

Thank you to all those asking how they can help our family with the tremendous expenses during this difficult time. We...

Posted by Salima’s Brave Journey on Friday, November 27, 2020


Three killed, four injured in 7 separate shootings in metro Atlanta over Thanksgiving holiday

President Trump announces Georgia visit Dec. 5, calls Raffensperger “Enemy of the People”

Black Friday 2020: A roundup of deals from Walmart, Best Buy, Macy’s, Kohl’s, Target and others

“Their biggest concern is that the acid/ inflammation could reach her Aorta which would be catastrophic and she would begin to bleed out,” Hill wrote. “With each passing hour that her vitals are stable and she’s showing no signs of internal bleeding, I praise God.”

By Friday, friend of the family Christian Durham said Salima is awake and playing with toys, but is still at risk for aortic damage.

The family has set up an online donation portal to help with medical expenses HERE.

[SIGN UP: WSB-TV Daily Headlines Newsletter]

Comments on this article