• Tripp Halstead moved out of ICU

    By: Dave Huddleston


    ATLANTA - The boy who suffered a critical head injury during Hurricane Sandy has been moved out of the intensive care unit as he continues to recover from his latest round of surgeries.

    Tripp Halstead had surgery on Monday to reattach part of his skull that had been removed after his accident in October.

    Halstead was playing in the backyard of the Winder day care that he attended when a large tree limb fell on his head.

    Tripp's parents were not available for an interview Tuesday, but have been keeping everyone up to date on his condition through Facebook.

    Tripp's mother Stacy wrote, "Just talked to the ICU doctor and the Neurosurgeon and both think he is doing really good!! They have already removed his catheter, and they said as soon as a room opens up on the 1st floor, they are going to move him out of the ICU."

    More than 12,000 people liked Stacy's comment and added some of their own.

    "Good news and it will just keep getting better," Margaret Wages Hamilton Adams added. "Thanks for the great update! Continuing to pray for God to heal Tripp and give strength and encouragement to you and your family," wrote Susan Carder.

    "Awesome news," Dianne Woods said.

    It has been a long haul for the 2-year-old who was injured Oct. 29.

    For weeks, he was in a medically-induced coma. Monday's surgery lasted five hours. Now that he has been taken out of ICU, he will start rehab again in a few days.

    The Infinity Center, a Winder-based therapeutic arts center along with many other local companies, will host a large event to benefit the family of Tripp Halstead.

    The event will take place on Saturday at The Infinity Center behind Wendy's in Winder. The purpose of the event is to raise awareness and encourage the community to donate to the family to assist with medical bills and also to be able to keep Stacy at home with Tripp during his entire recovery, organizers said.


    Next Up:

  • Headline Goes Here

    Tripp Halstead moved out of ICU