• Sex, money tied to drive-in fatal shooting case

    By: Erica Byfield


    DEKALB COUNTY, Ga. - DeKalb County police say the man they arrested for a drive-in theater murder threw $10,000 in cash out the window during the high-speed chase.

    Only Channel 2 Action News was in the courtroom on Tuesday as detective Ricardo Harris testified during the preliminary hearing.

    Quentric Williams is accused of killing Mitt Lenix.

    Police said Lenix was at the Starlight drive-in on Moreland Avenue with his girlfriend on May 15 when he had car trouble, went to Williams for help and was shot once in the chest.

    In court, Harris told the judge what Williams' girlfriend said about the night of the murder.

    "She stated that they were watching a movie and movie was boring so they were going to have sex," he said.

    Harris added Williams then grabbed a gun and shot once through the driver's side window.

    The shooting led to a police chase. Police said during the chase, Williams gave his girlfriend $10,000 and then threw $10,000 more out the window.

    Harris said the money thrown out the window was never recovered.

    Police said Williams eventually crashed the rental car he was driving, left his girlfriend in the car, and ran away.

    In court, Channel 2's Erica Byfield also learned investigators found three guns they believe are connected to Williams. The first was found in the rental car, the second in a resident's backyard near the accident site, and the third at a Gwinnett County hotel the day he was arrested.

    In the hotel room, police also found a large amount of cash and drugs.

    Byfield tracked down the Gwinnett man who found the second gun in his backyard.

    "It was shocking to find a weapon like that in my garden and to know that someone came through like that, to know that there was a murder suspect in our neighborhood, you know we don't have things like this out here," Steve Young said.

    Young told Byfield the night of the murder he had a feeling Williams had been in his backyard because the next day, he noticed his fence was unlocked.

    Young eventually found the gun on May 31 and called the police.


    "It gave me the creeps to know that there was gun here that belonged to murder suspect," he said.

    Young also told Byfield the gun, a .40 caliber Smith and Wesson, was fully loaded.

    In court on Tuesday, Channel 2 also learned Williams was injured in the crash in Gwinnett.

    Harris testified Williams reached out to a friend, who happened to be a DeKalb County firefighter and asked him for help.

    The detective said Williams initially told the firefighter he cut his hand in an ATV accident and then later told him the truth.

    "Quentric proceeded to tell him I was running from the police," Harris said.

    At the end of the hearing, the judge ruled there was enough probable cause to send the case to the superior court.

    Williams' next court date has not been set.

    Next Up:

  • Headline Goes Here

    Sex, money tied to drive-in fatal shooting case

  • Headline Goes Here

    Savannah police officer killed while directing traffic

  • Headline Goes Here

    Georgia was SEC's most-watched team in 2017

  • Headline Goes Here

    Ole Miss rallies in 10th, tops Georgia 5-4 in SEC Tournament

  • Headline Goes Here

    Bulldogs earn 13 spots in Athlon Sports All-SEC teams