JOHNS CREEK, Ga. — Channel 2 Action News has learned more than a dozen people have become sick at a Lifetime Fitness in north Fulton County.
Johns Creek fire officials confirmed to Channel 2's Mike Petchenik that a chlorine mixer malfunctioned at an outdoor pool around 7:30 p.m.
The malfunction caused too much chlorine to be put into the pool, fore officials said.
A total of 28 kids between the ages of 10 and 12, were at the pool for a swim meet.
“We pulled up, and I saw these ambulances, paramedics and fire trucks," said Cade Patterson, a gym patron.
The 14-year-old came to work out, when he saw the unexpected scene. The teen says he saw paramedics and police wheeling out a girl on a stretcher.
The incident caused several of the kids to vomit and have trouble breathing. Several of the kids also have red eyes.
“That’s really disconcerting. It’s not something you want to hear, and it just worries that me that something like that could happen," Patterson said. “I’ve been coming here for a really long time, and I’ve never had any issues myself. I hope the kids are doing alright.”
Eight kids were taken to area hospitals while others were treated at the scene.
Lifetime Fitness has shut down the location while it investigates the incident.
Channel 2's Nefertiti Jaquez received a statement from Lifetime Fitness saying,
© 2021 Cox Media Group