GWINNETT COUNTY, Ga. — A Gwinnett County man says he got quite the shock when he opened some canned fish that he planned to feed to his dog.
When Keith Hearn opened the can, he said he found a fishhook still stuck in the meat.
Now, he says he wants to make sure it doesn’t happen to anyone else.
“Just shock and awe” is how Hearn said he felt when he opened the can of Kroger-brand fish.
In addition to finding the hook, Hearn said there was also part of a fishing line.
“Upon further investigation, I got a little prick, and it was a fishhook in there,” Hearn said.
Hearn gave Channel 2's Justin Wilfon pictures he said he took right after he opened the can. They show the fishing line somehow fused to the lid of the can and still attached to the hook.
- Woman found shot to death on I-85 in Gwinnett County
- Person killed after tree falls on car in Sandy Springs
- $210M of meth found hidden in Sriracha hot sauce bottles shipped from US
He said he buys the cans of mackerel fish for his dog but luckily saw the hook before giving it to him.
“Can you imagine an animal with a fishhook stuck in their jaw, stuck in their mouth, and in pain?” Hearn said.
He said he bought the fish from the store on Scenic Highway in Snellville and said he called the store right after opening the can several weeks ago.
“I would like them to at least own up to it. Somebody blew the mission, and let the public know. Maybe recall some products,” Hearn said.
He said all the store has done is refunded his money.
Wilfon contacted Kroger about this story. A representative sent him a statement, saying:
"The safety and welfare of our customers is our top priority. We take incidents such as this very seriously. As this matter is under review, we cannot provide further comment."
Hearn just hopes the company makes sure its fish doesn’t come with any accessories.
“They’ve taken it so lightly, as if it was commonplace. That was disturbing to me,” Hearn said.
Cox Media Group