Missing Clark Atlanta student found dead; roommate named as 1 of 2 suspects

ATLANTA — A Clark Atlanta University student missing for more than a week has been found dead, Atlanta police said Friday. Alexis Crawford was last seen by family on Oct. 30.

In a news conference, Atlanta Police Erika Shields said:

  • Crawford's body was found in a park off Columbia Drive in DeKalb County
  • Police are securing arrest warrants for Crawford's roommate and have charged the roommate's boyfriend
  • Crawford previously reported unwanted kissing and touching from her roommate's boyfriend to police

Atlanta Police Chief Erika Shields identified the suspects as Jordyn Jones, 21, and Barron Brantley, 21. Brantley was booked into jail Friday night and charged with murder. He waived his first court appearance Saturday morning and was not given bond. His next court date is set for Nov. 22 at 9:30 a.m.

Shields said one of the suspects led them to Crawford's body.

"To all the APD investigators who worked on this diligently and around the clock. I say 'Thank you.' Thank you for treating Alexis like she was one of our own," an emotional Shields said.

Outside Atlanta police headquarters, Channel 2's Michael Seiden spoke to the family spokesman for Crawford's mother and father.

"I can't find strong enough words to express how hurt Alexis' family is," said Rev. Markel Hutchins. "Ms. Crawford is unable to speak. She literally couldn't say nothing."

The president of Clark Atlanta University sent a letter to students and faculty on Friday evening that said, "Our deepest thoughts and prayers are with her family and with everyone who knew and loved Alexis."

"Investigators say this was an isolated, off-campus incident and there was never a threat to any other members of the community," added CAU president George French Jr.

The school offered on-campus counseling for mourning students.


Family members told Channel 2 Action News that Crawford talks to someone in her family every day, no matter how busy she gets. That's why they believe something was terribly wrong.

We talked to Crawford's mother last week about the disappearance.

"Usually if we go a day without talking to her or something like that – she'll call us and be like 'Aw mom I was sleep. Mom I was studying, I was at work.' But she hasn't said anything yet," Monica Wright said.

Comments on this article