CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas — Many people leave their devices to charge on soft surfaces, but Texas firefighters warn that could lead to a spark that starts a fire.
The woman and her children had gone shopping, the television station reported. The phone was charging on the bed, and when the family came home at 5 p.m., they found smoke pouring out of the bedroom, according to KIII.
Firefighters said the flames must have been caused by a cellphone that was found in the area, the television station reported. The first responders said it was fortunate the bedroom door was closed, since it prevented the fire from spreading through the rest of the home, Newsweek reported.
Weston Besedsa, assistant chief with the Corpus Christi Fire Department, said incidents like this can be avoided by charging devices on a solid surface.
"Use a nightstand, use a shelf, use an entryway table," Weston told KIII. "Something like that. Avoid placing phones or electronic devices on pillows, mattress, comforters, blankets and whatnot."
© 2020 Cox Media Group