Tripp Halstead, toddler seriously injured when tree limb fell on him, has died

ATLANTA — Tripp Halstead, who was seriously injured more than five years ago when a tree branch fell on him, causing brain damage, passed away on Thursday.

Halstead's father confirmed his passing to Channel 2's Justin Wilfon.

We're looking back at Tripp's courageous fight and remembering the little boy who inspired millions, on Channel 2 Action News at 5 p.m. 

On Oct. 29, 2012, Stacy Halstead got a call no mother should ever have to receive: A tree limb had fallen on her 2-year-old son Tripp's head during a freak accident at his day care.

For the Halstead family, life changed in an instant.

As the blue-eyed toddler fought for months to survive, people all over the country started to follow along and root for his recovery.

Just a few months ago, Channel 2's Wendy Corona talked with the Halstead family on the 5-year anniversary of Tripp's accident.

The family updated their Facebook page on Thursday night saying:

There are no words to express how Bill and I are feeling at this moment. We are beyond devastated and honestly I believe I am in shock. Our amazing, perfect, beautiful miracle of a son, Tripp Hughes Halstead passed away at 5:47 pm today. He was our whole world. 

We love you Trippadoo and you will never realize the impact you made on our lives. 

I have no idea when I will post again. I’m still processing everything. But Bill and I were in the room when he passed at the hospital. His little body was just done fighting this last infection. His little heart gave out. This winter was brutal for him. I’m just so thankful he had the best summer ever. Jet skis, Disney World, the list is endless and that’s when we got those amazing huge smiles. 

At this time, I will not be reading the comments but your welcome to leave them for me to read in the coming weeks. 

You have been the most loyal and outstanding followers we could have ever asked for and We thank you from the bottom of our hearts for the past 5 1/2 years. You let us into your lives and You were there when we needed you most. 

Love, Bill and Stacy

For more than five years, Channel 2 Action News followed Tripp as he inspired us all with his progress.

Here's a look back at some of Tripp's journey, as told through the family's Facebook page, Tripp Halstead Updates:

October 29, 2012: Tripp is critically injured when a tree limb falls on his head at his day care:

November 6, 2012: Doctors tell the Halstead family they believe Tripp will survive:  

****UPDATE**** We received the best news today!!!!!!! Our doctors felt confident enough in Tripp's condition to tell us...

Posted by Tripp Halstead Updates on Tuesday, November 6, 2012

November 20, 2012: Tripp is transferred to Scottish Rite for rehab: 

We arrived a short time ago at Scottish Rite safe and sound and will be starting our journey down the long road to recovery tomorrow. We will update once we get all settled in.

Posted by Tripp Halstead Updates on Tuesday, November 20, 2012

February 6, 2013: Doctors set an initial "going home" date for Tripp, but it is short-lived:

Stacy: I just left the hospital and Tripp was still sleeping. They said this was normal, he is exhausted and still on...

Posted by Tripp Halstead Updates on Wednesday, February 6, 2013

February 14, 2013: A second disaster strikes:  After undergoing a surgery to insert a pump to administer medications,Tripp is diagnosed with a potentially-deadly infection, bacterial meningitis. All his progress is lost and he has multiple surgeries over 5 weeks:

Stacy: Just wanted to clear up a few things. The meningitis that Tripp has is not contagious. The Drs assured us of...

Posted by Tripp Halstead Updates on Thursday, February 14, 2013

March 29, 2013: Tripp is finally released from the hospital 5 months after the accident that nearly claimed his life:

April 1, 2013: Tripp is re-admitted to the hospital with a fever 2 days after being released. On April 5th, he has surgery to have his gallbladder removed:

April 9, 2012: Tripp and family head home again: 

July 13th, 2013: Sunshine on a Ranney Day steps in to renovate a new home for the family to accommodate Tripp's needs:


November 2, 2015: Tripp speaks for the first time since the accident:


May 11, 2016: Tripp has a successful surgery to repair the dent in his head:


July 31, 2017: Tripp starts first grade: 


September 12, 2017: Tripp turns 7!