ATLANTA — Are you $1 billion richer?
Friday night the Mega Millions reached a new milestone with a $1 billion jackpot, the largest in the game's history.
Here are the winning numbers from Friday's historic drawing: 65-53-23-15-70 Mega Ball: 7
On Friday morning, lottery officials announced the jackpot jumped again, this time reaching $1 billion!
The Powerball jackpot rolled over to $430 million Thursday morning after no one matched the numbers.
The odds of winning a jackpot remain abysmal at 1 in 258.9 million for Mega Millions and 1 in 292.2 million for Powerball.
We'll have the latest details on any winners from Friday's historic drawing, on Channel 2 Action News Saturday AM starting at 6 a.m.
In Haralson County, the line at Robinson’s Store stretched out the door and into the parking lot. The store is known for selling the most winning tickets in the state.
“As soon as we pulled in we're like, is everybody getting lottery tickets? We parked and said yep. That's a long line," said lottery players Sheridan and Chulwon Park.
Robinson’s was getting a lot of traffic from people crossing the Alabama state line to play as well.
"I have never seen more people from Alabama in one place outside of Alabama in my life," lottery player Paul Diambra told Channel 2's Berndt Petersen.
If you hit it big, a new Georgia law can help keep people from asking for some of your money.
The law has only been on the books for six months. It allows any lottery winner who wins more than $250,000 to opt for anonymity.
The winner signs the paperwork and the Georgia Lottery will not identify you, even if an Open Records request was made.
"It was done because constituents were worried that they could win that money and be like people in other states, be victims of crime of flimflam, etc.," state Sen. Steve Henson told Channel 2 consumer investigator Jim Strickland.
Henson said since May 7, there have been 74 people who have won $250,000 or more in lottery earnings and each one of them has opted to remain anonymous.
“I love that law,” lottery player Claudia Roberts said. “You have people coming out of the woodwork when you win, sometimes you don't want everybody to know you won.”
For that lucky winner, there will be a lot of things to decide about what to do with all that money. One financial planner told Channel 2's Dave Huddleston that the first thing you should do is take a deep breath and then go off the grid.
It’s a life changing amount of money, which is why it can cause so many problems for lottery winners, because they are not equipped to handle an influx of that much money,” said Morgan Stanley Executive Director David Skid.
Skid says you need to give yourself about 30 days to think about what to do with the money. He also recommends getting a financial bodyguard, which is someone who helps with the final say on who gets some of the cash.
“It puts you at an arms-length to having to be the no man,” Skid told Huddleston.
Skid also said you will still need to protect yourself and your new-found wealth from cyber thieves.
“Freezing your credit, doing all those things to protect the outside world from getting into your financial house,” Skid said.
Skid also suggested putting your winnings into 30-day treasury bonds. At 1 percent interest, you could earn $2 million dollars a year off your lottery windfall.
MEGA MILLIONS FAST FACTS
- Draw Date: Friday
- Estimated Jackpot Amount: $1 billion
- Annuity Amount: Jackpot prize paid out as one immediate payment followed by 29 annual graduated payments
- Cost to Play: $2 per play; additional $1 per play for Megaplier; $3 for Just the Jackpot
- Drawings: 11 p.m. every Tuesday and Friday LIVE on Channel 2
- Overall Odds of Winning Any Prize: Approximately 1:24
- Odds of Winning Jackpot Prize: Approximately 1:302 million
- Date Jackpot Began Rolling: July 27
- Number of Rolls: 25
- Last Winning Jackpot Ticket: July 24, 2018 – $543 million (California)
- #1 Mega Millions Jackpot: March 30, 2012 – $656 million (Illinois, Kansas and Maryland)
POWERBALL FAST FACTS
- Draw Date: Saturday
- Estimated Jackpot Amount: $470 million
- Annuity Amount: Jackpot prize paid over 29 years in 30 graduated payments
- Cost to Play: $2 per play; an additional $1 per play to add the Power Play multiplier
- Drawings: 11 p.m. every Wednesday and Saturday LIVE on Channel 2
- Overall Odds of Winning Any Prize: Approximately 1:24.87
- Odds of Winning Jackpot Prize: Approximately 1:292 million
- Date Jackpot Began Rolling: Aug. 15
- Number of Rolls: 20
- Last Winning Jackpot Ticket: Aug. 11, 2018 – $247 million jackpot (New York)
- #1 Powerball Jackpot: Jan. 13, 2016 – $1.586 billion jackpot (California, Florida and Tennessee)
Cox Media Group