• Teen charged as adult in killing of 2-year-old


    DEKALB COUNTY, Ga. - A 13-year-old girl made her first court appearance Tuesday, accused of stabbing her 2-year-old sister to death.

    The girl's stepfather, Shelton Ray, and investigators told Channel 2 Action News that Tyasia Jackson stabbed her sister, Sasha Ray, seven times in the heart area Monday afternoon.

    "The girl had multiple stab wounds," DeKalb County police spokeswoman Mekka Parrish told reporters Tuesday, saying the teen would be charged with murder. "The 13-year-old was angry about something," Parrish said.

    Jackson was escorted into the DeKalb County Court Tuesday morning by jail guards, wearing a blue prison jumpsuit.

    Detectives decided to charge Jackson as an adult in the case.

    Investigators said Jackson's parents were away when the incident happened. Jackson was said to be babysitting her four siblings at their home on Waldrop Trail near Decatur. Jackson's stepfather said she called them to say the girl was missing.

    "She called my wife and told her Sasha was missing. She actually tried to blame it on the neighbor. She said she thought the neighbor took Sasha with her," Ray said.

    Ray said they rushed home to help look for the girl. They eventually found Sasha in the back yard.

    "I picked her up and immediately came to the front and got in the car. We were going to take her to the hospital and she died in my arms at the entrance of the community," Ray said.

    Channel 2's Richard Elliot stopped by the family's home Tuesday morning, where the children's great-grandmother answered the door but did not identify herself.

    She told Elliot she was cleaning the house while the rest of the family was at Jackson's court hearing. She said investigators had just finished searching the home for evidence.

    The great-grandmother also said the family had just moved into the condo in the Waldrop Station complex a month before. She said the family was having a hard time coming up with the money for a funeral.

    "Trying to make arrangements because she don't have no money. She works part time, and it's a shame," the great-grandmother said.

    The family told Elliot they are trying to set up a fund to help pay for Sasha's funeral, but haven't come up with concrete plans yet.

    Elliot checked with the state Department of Family and Children Services and there was no case file on the family. Police also said they were not familiar with the address for any prior issues.


    Next Up:

  • Headline Goes Here

    Teen charged as adult in killing of 2-year-old