ATLANTA — Vaccine testing on children under age five is now underway at Emory University.
Next month, pharmacies across metro Atlanta could be administering COVID-19 vaccines to children ages 5 - 11.
Channel 2′s Tom Regan was in North Fulton County, where he talked to the parent of a 4-year-old participating in the clinical trial.
[DOWNLOAD: Free WSB-TV News app for alerts as news breaks]
Wessy Randall could hardly sit still when Regan talked to him about his vaccine experience.
HIs mother, Lori Randall, is a doctor and signed both of her sons up for the trial. She isn’t sure if he got the vaccine or a placebo shot, but odds are that it was the real thing.
- Lanes reopen after fiery crash involving lumber truck, semi carrying candles on I-285
- South Georgia pastor indicted, accused of using CARES Act funds to buy Mercedes
- Police searching for man they say exposed himself to young girl at metro Dunkin’ Donuts
“It’s a 75% chance of the vaccine and a 25% chance of the placebo,” Lori Randall.
Lori Randall’s 6-year-old got his shots a couple of months ago. She said that both boys responded well.
“We would like to be part of getting these kids that have made all the sacrifices back to normal,” Lori Randall said.
[SIGN UP: WSB-TV Daily Headlines Newsletter]
While many health officials believe the vaccines are safe for children, not all parents are convinced.
Stephanie Clack of Barrow County said she has no plans to get the COVID-19 vaccine for her elementary school-age children.
“In my life I have noticed that if something has to be forced, I back away,” Clack said. “I don’t trust it. Families that I see don’t want to be forced to get it. They want to make their decisions on what’s best for their families.”
Health officials said they expect vaccines to be available for children five to 11 years old by mid-November.
©2021 Cox Media Group