ATLANTA - The Mega Millions jackpot has jumped again to a record $667 million.The Mega Millions and Powerball jackpots both grew over the weekend, and the combined total is now over $1 billion.
The lottery says it increased the winnings because of the "brisk sales" since the jackpot jumped up.Lottery officials said the Mega Millions jackpot has rolled over 23 times since July 27. Wednesday’s Powerball jackpot is up to $345 million. That jackpot has grown since Aug. 15 and has rolled 18 times.
Channel 2's Berndt Petersen was at a busy Cobb County store where several winning tickets have been sold. Heby's Shell Station on Floyd Road sold a $116 million winning ticket in 2010.
Nancy Murphy only bought one ticket, but she feels lucky.
"My mother always said, 'Don't spend everything you have,'" Murphy said. She said she still remembers the day the store sold the winning ticket almost eight years ago.
"I feel like I won it myself," Murphy said. "I still remember that day."
Ericka Whipple and Alicia Dugas bought their tickets at the Uptown Exxon on Peachtree Street in Midtown on Tuesday. They both told Channel 2 Action News they are regular players, and there is no way they would miss a chance at $667 million.
"I play all the time, so I know some people don't play unless it gets large," Whipple said. "I don't wait for that. I just play anytime'
Managers at the Exxon said there were lines out the door Tuesday morning.
"I'm pretty sure the higher it gets, everyone's gonna want to play more tickets," Dugas said. "You know everybody's gonna buy more, because everybody wants to increase their chances of winning."
Tuesday’s record Mega Millions jackpot will be drawn Tuesday night on Channel 2 before the Channel 2 Action News Nightbeat.
“Large jackpots are exciting for our players and contribute greatly to lottery-funded HOPE scholarships and grants, as well as pre-K,” Georgia Lottery President and CEO Gretchen Corbin said. “Every time you purchase a Mega Millions or Powerball ticket in Georgia, you invest in Georgia’s students.”
If there is a winner of the Mega Millions jackpot Tuesday night, they’ll have two payment options. The winner can take the $667 million annuity prize paid out as one immediate payment followed by 29 annual graduated payments or the cash option.
If there is a winner of the Powerball jackpot Wednesday night, they’ll have two payment options. The winner can take the $345 million jackpot prize paid over 29 years in 30 graduated payments or the cash option, which is about $199 million.
Whipple and Dugas were already daydreaming about what they would do if they won.
"I'd probably just take care of my family, just make sure they're OK. That's it, my family and my friends." Whipple said.
You can WATCH the Mega Millions drawing every Tuesday and Friday and the Powerball drawing every Wednesday and Saturday LIVE on Channel 2 at 11 p.m.
MEGA MILLIONS FAST FACTS
- Draw Date: Tuesday
- Estimated Jackpot Amount: $667 million
- Annuity Amount: Jackpot prize paid out as one immediate payment followed by 29 annual graduated payments
- Cost to Play: $2 per play; additional $1 per play for Megaplier; $3 for Just the Jackpot
- Drawings: 11 p.m. every Tuesday and Friday LIVE on Channel 2
- Overall Odds of Winning Any Prize: Approximately 1:24
- Odds of Winning Jackpot Prize: Approximately 1:302 million
- Date Jackpot Began Rolling: July 27
- Number of Rolls: 23
- Last Winning Jackpot Ticket: July 24, 2018 – $543 million (California)
- #1 Mega Millions Jackpot: March 30, 2012 – $656 million (Illinois, Kansas and Maryland)
POWERBALL FAST FACTS
- Draw Date: Wednesday
- Estimated Jackpot Amount: $345 million
- Annuity Amount: Jackpot prize paid over 29 years in 30 graduated payments
- Cash Option Amount: Approximately $199 million
- Cost to Play: $2 per play; an additional $1 per play to add the Power Play multiplier
- Drawings: 11 p.m. every Wednesday and Saturday LIVE on Channel 2
- Overall Odds of Winning Any Prize: Approximately 1:24.87
- Odds of Winning Jackpot Prize: Approximately 1:292 million
- Date Jackpot Began Rolling: Aug. 15
- Number of Rolls: 18
- Last Winning Jackpot Ticket: Aug. 11, 2018 – $247 million jackpot (New York)
- #1 Powerball Jackpot: Jan. 13, 2016 – $1.586 billion jackpot (California, Florida and Tennessee)
© 2018 Cox Media Group.