Gwinnett County

Road rage driver follows teen, knocks him out, threatens to sexually assault sister, police say

GWINNETT COUNTY, Ga. — A 57-year-old man was arrested following a road rage incident in Gwinnett County.

[DOWNLOAD: Free WSB-TV News app for alerts as news breaks]

Gwinnett County police said on Wednesday they were called to Buford Dam Road and Old Shadburn Ferry Road regarding an assault.

Officers met with an 18-year-old man, who told them that another driver assaulted him. The victim told police that the incident began on Peachtree Industrial Boulevard and R.H. Smith Boulevard.

The teen said that he and the driver of a blue pickup truck, identified as Duane Andrew Sudderth, 57, of Flowery Branch, “flipped each other off” before Sudderth started following him.

Gwinnett authorities said when the teen turned onto Little Mill Road and Buford Dam Road, Sudderth continued to follow.


According to the victim, Sudderth tried to run him off the road.

The victim and his 15-year-old sister, who was sitting in the front seat, pulled into a private driveway on Buford Dam Road near Marina Way. The teen told officers that Sudderth pulled in behind him, got out of his truck, and then began to punch him repeatedly in the face through the window.

Sudderth reportedly told the 18-year-old that he would sexually assault his “girlfriend” in the passenger seat. (The “girlfriend” was his sister.) Sudderth allegedly continued to punch the victim even as he got out of the vehicle.

GCPD said eventually, the victim lost consciousness and when he woke up, he called the police to report the incident.

[SIGN UP: WSB-TV Daily Headlines Newsletter]

Utilizing FLOCK, Gwinnett police track down Sudderth at his home in Flowery Branch on Sunday.

Sudderth was arrested and booked into the Gwinnett County Jail. He’s charged with aggravated battery, two counts of aggravated assault, terroristic threats, cruelty to children in the first degree, cruelty to children in the third degree, entering auto, and aggressive driving.

Channel 2′s Gwinnett County Bureau Chief Matt Johnson spoke to the victim’s father Monday, who said his son is recovering and already back at high school and work.

The family didn’t want to be interviewed, but said they are relieved the senseless violence didn’t turn deadly.

He is currently behind bars at the Gwinnett County Jail where he’s being held without bond.