• Fire forces out assisted living patients


    MABLETON, Ga.,None - A fire at an assisted living home in Cobb County forced several patients to evacuate early Tuesday.

    Channel 2’s Darryn Moore went to Vonda Lane in Mableton, where patients watched as firefighters extinguished the flames. Owner Cassandra Freeman said patients were sleeping when the St. Benedict Personal Care building caught fire around 1 a.m.

    “I smelled some smoke and that's when I said, ‘Everybody out.’ I had staff in the home. They heard, and we got everybody out the house,” Freeman said.

    She said the fire started in the circuit breaker.

    “Looked out the window of my front porch, and you could see flames shooting up here through the trees,” neighbor Doris Gibboney said.

    Freeman said four patients, ranging from 50 to 80 years old, were evacuated. When firefighters arrived, flames were shooting through the roof.

    “Anytime fire goes through the roof, it’s pretty significant damage,” Cobb County fire Battalion Chief Bob Foran said.

    Family members arrived to take care of patients. Freeman said she has been in the business for two years and plans to rebuild.


    Next Up:

  • Headline Goes Here

    Fire forces out assisted living patients