Fire devastates Gordon County Animal Shelter

CALHOUN, Ga. — The Gordon County Animal Shelter appears to have been destroyed after a fire ripped through the facility Wednesday evening.

According to Gordon County Fire, multiple stations responded to the blaze on Harris Beamer Road.

They said the building was fully engulfed when they arrived at the scene.

TRENDING STORIES:

Firefighters said many of the animals inside were rescued by volunteers as well as firefighters.

“According to the director of the shelter, all dogs are accounted for and the Calhoun Shelter has graciously taken those animals, as well as some shelter volunteers for the evening,” the department said on their Facebook page Wednesday evening. "Unfortunately, two cats perished. Firefighters have the fire under control at this time and in overhaul mode at the moment."

The department said information about the fire will be available at a later date.

UPDATE 10:50 pm - our final post for this incident. The GA State Fire Marshal's Office will have an investigator on site...

Posted by Gordon County Fire & Rescue on Wednesday, April 12, 2017