Family confirms 2nd Dacula High student dies after crash that killed brother

GWINNETT COUNTY, Ga. — Two Dacula High School students are dead following a car crash on the way to school Friday, according to Gwinnett County Police.

Authorities say Jared Brown, 17, made a left turn on Highway 316 onto Harbins Road at around 7 a.m., but he turned into the path of an oncoming vehicle. Jared died shortly after the crash.  Borwn's brother, 15-year-old Jaison, was the passenger in the vehicle and passed away Friday evening, according to Gwinnett police.

The Gwinnett County Medical Examiner’s Office also confirmed Jaison Brown’s death.

“He was pronounced brain dead on Friday at 8:20 p.m.,” chief forensic investigator Ted Bailey told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

The  family spokesman has also released the following statement:

"Two young men from the Dacula community have passed due to injuries sustained in a car accident yesterday morning on Highway 316 at Harbins Road.

"The collision took the life of Jared Brown (age 17) and Jaison Brown (age 15). Jared passed away yesterday morning and Jaison was pronounced dead last night at approximately 8:30pm due to no brain activity.  The family would like to thank Gwinnett Medical Center and the many physicians and nurses who worked so diligently in effort to save his life.  Unfortunately, his traumatic injuries were too great to overcome.

" The parents, Paul and Merrill Brown, are grateful for all of the prayers and support for their family.  Hundreds have come to Gwinnett Medical Center to show their love. They are so grateful to the outpouring of support given by their church family and pastoral staff at Lawrenceville Church of God. Several hundred students gathered last night at the Dacula High School football field for a candlelight ceremony honoring Jared and to pray for Jaison.  Both Brown brothers played on the Dacula High soccer team. The family has found strength and comfort through the large outpouring of prayers and kindness from the community.

" Tonight, the Dacula football team will host Archer High School for their game that was rescheduled from last night due to the horrific circumstances that the students were facing yesterday. Brian Long, principal of Dacula High School, stated that tonight's game would show honor and respect to the Brown family by hosting a "brown out" by wearing all brown clothing to the game. The kickoff is scheduled for 7:30pm tonight at Dacula High School.

" Memorial services will be arranged soon and the Brown family will release that information as soon as the details are finalized.

" Friends of the family can show their support by contributing to a "Go Fund Me" account setup by one of the caring students from Dacula High School.  You can access the account at:

" Thank you for your support of this family. They ask to respect their privacy by allowing them time to grieve with the immediate family."

The 44-year-old driver of the other vehicle was injured but is expected to recover.

Jared Brown is being remembered by friends as a standout student athlete who had a promising future. He excelled in football and enjoyed being a member of several student groups, according to his friends.

"He was honest and always there when you needed him," said Oscar Moncada, one of Brown's friends. "He was going to go far in life, I knew that."

Students say the mood was somber on campus when Jared Brown's death was announced over the intercom.

"When I walked into the building, I just heard people crying," said Teddy Olson, another one of Brown's friends. "People were talking to counselors in different rooms."

The crash is the second deadly tragedy at Dacula High School within the past nine days. Last week, the principal said a 17-year-old girl deliberately hurt herself at the gym. Channel 2 Action News learned the teenager fell from the second story of the gym.

A Friday night football game was postponed until Saturday in response to Jared Brown's death.

Several students gathered at the football field to hold a vigil for Brown.

"I feel like I'm going to see him on Monday, like everything is going to be normal, but when he's not here it's really going to hit me hard," Jerry Villanueva said.