• Car fire causes Loews Hotel evacuation in Midtown

    Updated:

    ATLANTA - The Loews Atlanta Hotel on Peachtree Street was temporarily evacuated Thursday afternoon due to a fire in the hotel’s garage.

    The fire ignited on the sixth floor of the hotel’s garage, according to Janet Ward, spokeswoman for the fire department. Billowing black smoke was seen coming from the garage area.

    A large amount of smoke prompted the hotel to evacuate hundreds of employees and guests shortly after 3 p.m. The two-alarm fire was extinguished around 3:30 p.m., Ward said. Investigators advised people to avoid the area of Peachtree between 11th and 12th streets.

    No injuries were reported.

    Crews were monitoring the hotel for carbon monoxide, Ward said. Shortly after 4 p.m., people were allowed to return to the hotel.

    It was not immediately known how many vehicles were damaged

    Next Up:


  • Headline Goes Here

    Car fire causes Loews Hotel evacuation in Midtown

  • Headline Goes Here

    Heavy rain will continue into Monday night

  • Headline Goes Here

    Uber Eats driver stabbed in fight over free parking, police say

  • Headline Goes Here

    Fire destroys day care in DeKalb County overnight

  • Headline Goes Here

    DeKalb County school bus driver 'sick out' expected to continue today