DEKALB COUNTY, Ga. — DeKalb County fire officials said an early morning fire left two people hurt and several pets missing in Chamblee.
The fire broke out after 6:30 a.m. on the 3000 block of Shallowford Road.
Capt. Dion Bentley told Channel 2 Action News that a man and a woman were injured in the fire. The woman suffered more severe burns but they’re both expected to be OK.
“We have two people that were transported. One male that was transported had more minor injuries. The female did have more severe injuries, burn injuries, and we have our investigators out at this time to determine more of what happened,” Bentley said.
Neighbors said they woke up to an explosion at the home. When they came out, they saw flames.
“I was in bed and I heard a really loud impact and I thought it was a car wreck,” the neighbor said.
- Georgia couple sues Home Depot, claims contractor botched home renovation project
- Buford man arrested in connection to U.S. Capitol riots
- Walmart to boost pay for 425K employees after posting strong holiday sales
Bentley said an infant from the home was already outside the house when firefighters arrived and was not hurt. But firefighters were working to rescue several pets.
“From what I understand, I heard six pets. I know crews saw one of the dogs,” Bentley said. “But the other ones we weren’t able to locate, and again we don’t know if they had made it out prior to getting here or whether they’re inside,” Bentley said.
Bentley said because of the rain and smoke, there was low visibility, and firefighters had to get out quickly.
“Conditions inside it made it very difficult for firefighters to maneuver hose lines and at that time, once it was updated to the incident commander, that’s when call was made get everyone out. The horn blows. It’s a safety precaution,” Bentley said.
Officials said the home is a total loss.
Bentley said they’re not sure how or where this fire started but he mentioned they’ve seen a lot fires recently and wants to remind everyone that it’s extremely important to check to make sure your smoke detectors are working every six months.
Shallowford Road was shut down in the area while fire crews put out the flames.
Cox Media Group