VIDEO: Suspect out on bond after shooting up store near AUC, leading police on chase, injuring man

ATLANTA — A documented gang member who was once charged with murder is back in jail after police arrested him following a shooting and chase near Atlanta University Center on Wednesday.

It was just after 4:30 p.m. when police responded to reports of a person shot inside a convenience store on Joseph E. Lowery Boulevard.

[DOWNLOAD: Free WSB-TV News app for alerts as news breaks]

When officers arrived, they found a victim who had been shot multiple times.

Investigators reviewed surveillance video that showed four suspects in a blue Tesla.

Atlanta police arrested 18-year-old Kentavious Campbell on Wednesday, in connection to this shooting.

Jail records show that he was booked on charges of aggravated assault, aggravated battery, driving-fleeing or attempting to elude a police officer, possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony, reckless driving and willful obstruction of law enforcement officers.

Channel 2′s Michael Seiden obtained the exclusive surveillance video that showed the victim walking to the store when he was confronted by the four suspects in the Tesla. The surveillance video does not have audio, but it appears to show some type of argument between the suspects and the victim. The surveillance also shows two of the suspects step out of the car with guns.

Moments later, surveillance video shows two of the suspects shooting from the camera, hitting the man inside the store. A camera from inside the store recorded the victim stumbling to the front of the store before collapsing onto the floor.

He was rushed to a local hospital, where he’s expected to survive. Shortly after the shooting, police tracked down the suspects and arrested them following a brief chase.

Investigators identified Campbell as one of the suspects. Court records show that he’s been arrested multiple times on numerous felony charges. In July 2023, Campbell was booked into jail on multiple charges, including murder.

He was released from jail in January after prosecutors dropped the case against him, citing insufficient evidence, according to court documents.


He appeared to stay out of trouble until he was arrested in April on felony theft and gang charges, jail records confirmed. He spent two days in jail before a judge granted him bond.

Channel 2 Action News has reached out to the Atlanta Police Department, but a spokesperson declined to comment, citing the ongoing investigation.

[SIGN UP: WSB-TV Daily Headlines Newsletter]


Comments on this article