PIKE COUNTY, Ga. — A 6-year-old Pike County boy with an amoebic infection in his brain passed away Friday.
Leland Shoemake's parents say the infection was caused by the amoeba Balamuthia mandrillaris.
It is unclear how Leland came in contact with the amoeba.
Leland had been in critical condition at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta at Egleston.
He had been sick for nearly a month and was admitted to the hospital nearly two weeks ago.
The community held a vigil for Leland Tuesday night.
Leland's death was announced on the Facebook page set up to give updates on his condition called Prayers for Leland.
© 2020 WSBTV