TROUP COUNTY, Ga. — The LaGrange community is mourning the deaths of two children in an early morning fire.
Authorities said the fire broke out around 4 a.m. at 231 Cherry Valley Lane and when firefighters arrived, they found the trailer on fire with people trapped inside.
The boys were 8 and 12 years old.
Their mother was taken to the hospital in critical condition.
Channel 2′s Tom Jones was at Grady Hospital, where he spoke to the boys' father, who said he tried to get inside, but the flames were just too intense.
Jason Holmes was devastated. His lost his two children and his wife is in the hospital with severe burns.
Holmes said the heat was blistering.
“I couldn’t even just stick in my arm through the door,” Holmes said.
Still, his wife, Lynett, went inside to try to get to 8-year-old William and 12-year-old Desmond, who had autism.
“I was outside screaming, screaming for Lynett, screaming for William and I couldn’t hear anything,” Holmes said. “It’s the worst feeling in the world, knowing that you can’t do anything.”
Holmes said he woke up around 3:30 a.m. and saw smoke in the mobile home. He said he woke up his wife and they tried to get the kids out.
Jones asked how people can help Holmes.
“Just pray,” Holmes said. “Pray and help me.”
People in the community were stepping up and bringing over food and clothes. The Red Cross is expected to assist the family.
Fire investigators are at the scene trying to figure out what sparked the fire.
Cox Media Group