• Macon teen dies from nut allergy after restaurant visit

    By: Dave Huddleston


    MACON, Ga. - A Macon mother is preparing to bury her 15-year-old son after an allergic reaction to a nut.

    Diallo Robbins-Brinson was eating at a Jonesboro, Henry County, Golden Corral when he stopped breathing and collapsed at the restaurant.

    He was there with his soccer team when, his mother said, he ate a cookie and had an allergic reaction.

    Larmia Robbins-Brinson said he knew he was allergic to peanuts, but he thought he was eating a macadamia nut cookie.

    Diallo is supposed to carry an EpiPen with him, but hadn't had an allergic reaction in quite some time, so he stopped carrying it, Robbins-Brinson said.

    An EpiPen is device used to quickly and easily deliver a dose of medicine in the event of anaphylactic shock -- an allergic reaction that can be fatal.

    Allergists tell Channel 2 Action News many teenagers, and especially boys, do not carry their life-saving medication.

    "It doesn't fit in your pocket. They could get a pouch used for cell phones and put their medicine in that, but what teenaged boy's going to do that?" said Dr. David Tanner.

    Golden Corral Restaurants released a statement saying, “We were saddened to learn of the tragic loss of Diallo Robbins-Brinson. Our entire Golden Corral team extends our deepest sympathy to the Robbins-Brinson family."


    Next Up:

  • Headline Goes Here

    Macon teen dies from nut allergy after restaurant visit

  • Headline Goes Here

    Recall Alert: Trader Joes cookies may contain undeclared allergens