South Fulton County

At least 7 arrested after massive drug raid at South Fulton restaurant

SOUTH FULTON, Ga. — At least seven people have been arrested and more could soon follow after a massive drug raid at a restaurant in the city of South Fulton.

Police Chief Keith Meadows says about 76 law enforcement officers and other public safety officials descended upon the 50 Yard Line Bar and Grill Thursday night to serve a search warrant.

[DOWNLOAD: Free WSB-TV News app for alerts as news breaks]

Channel 2 investigative reporter Mark Winne was on the scene when the South Metro SWAT Team entered the business.

“We’ve had quite a few complaints about criminal activity around the 50 Yard Line, and as a result our Gang and Narcotics Unit initiated an investigation into this particular business,” Chief Meadows told Winne.

The months-long investigation began in August and led to investigators making four controlled drug purchases from the restaurant, including crack cocaine, powdered cocaine and marijuana.


Chief Meadows also says that the murder of a restaurant patron took place in the parking lot. He says another shooting took place inside the business and the victim was dragged outside.

Lt. Shannon McKessey said when officers entered the restaurant, they were hit with the strong smell of marijuana and were met with 75 people, all of whom were detained. She says that within 30 minutes, those who were not involved in illegal activities were released.

One man who was inside the restaurant during the raid said it was “crazy” inside.

[SIGN UP: WSB-TV Daily Headlines Newsletter]

Investigators say several guns and narcotics were seized, but did not comment on exactly what was seized.

A woman who claimed to be the restaurant’s owner told Winne doesn’t know why the raid happened because nothing illegal happens at her business.

She says they have been open for 23 years and have not had any legal trouble. She also told Winne that she was not aware of anyone being dragged outside after being shot.

Chief Meadows confirmed to Channel 2 that the liquor license for the business has been suspended. The suspension will stand until a vote amongst the mayor and city council takes place, which could happen as soon as October 24.