Georgia teenagers who will soon be getting behind the wheel will need to know about a new law that goes into effect Thursday.
Starting on July 1, “Joshua’s Law” will require 16-year-olds and 17-year-olds to take a safety course before they can get their license.
“Joshua’s Law,” also known as House Bill 466, passed during this year’s legislative session. Currently, 17-year-olds are exempt from 30 hours of program instruction and the six hours of road training.
- Atlanta officer recovering after being ‘ambushed’ inside Midtown apartment complex
- Metro Atlanta mother desperate for answers months after missing son’s remains found in Alabama
- Former Atlanta mayor may have violated campaign laws
The Georgia Department of Driver Services says anyone under the age of 18 will not be issued their initial Class D license without completing the required training.
There are several options for teens to complete the program, including:
- 30 hours of classroom instruction at a DDS approved school plus six hours of behind the wheel training at DDS approved school plus 40 hours of supervised driving with parent/guardian
- 30 hours of classroom instruction at a DDS approved school plus completion of the parent teen driving guide that includes 40 hours of supervised driving with parent/guardian
- DDS approved school online course plus six hours of behind the wheel training at DDS approved school plus 40 hours of supervised driving with parent/guardian
- DDS approved school online course plus completion of the parent teen driving guide that includes 40 hours of supervised driving with parent/guardian
Teens are not required to present a driving log for the supervised hours but a parent or guardian must be there when they apply for a license.
The DDS says approved courses are offered by high schools and private driving schools that can cost around $250. There are approved online virtual programs offered at a lower cost.
A list of approved schools can be found on the DDS website.
[SIGN UP: WSB-TV Daily Headlines Newsletter]
©2021 Cox Media Group