GWINNETT COUNTY, Ga. — A Gwinnett family’s home was destroyed after a fire on Tuesday morning after they used the fireplace, fire officials said.
Gwinnett County fire officials said crews were sent to a house fire on Jack Russell Run SW in Lilburn at 1:03 a.m. to find a two-story home on fire.
[DOWNLOAD: Free WSB-TV News app for alerts as news breaks]
The homeowner, Moses Lee, told firefighters that he had been out of the country for several months, and when he returned, he noticed that the natural gas service in his home had been disconnected. Due to the cold temperatures, he started a fire in his gas fireplace.
After starting a fire, Lee told firefighters that he heard crackling from inside the wall, and when he felt the wall, it was hot to the touch.
Lee told Channel 2′s Matt Johnson that he is a pastor and is more thankful than ever to have survived the fire.
“My friend survived, this one is alive, and I’m alive, and I praise the lord,” Lee said. “It’s amazing the Lord protect us.”
- Todd and Julie Chrisley sentenced to federal prison for tax evasion case
- Remains found believed to be missing Georgia toddler; mother charged with murder
- GBI: Man with rifle spotted near homicide scene shot, killer by police; 1 officer injured
Firefighters confirmed that there were no working smoke alarms inside the house.
Firefighters began putting the fire out, and after a thorough home search, firefighters confirmed that everyone had made it out safely.
The fire was ruled an accident.
GCFD said the American Red Cross would assist the two residents and their dog during repairs.
[SIGN UP: WSB-TV Daily Headlines Newsletter]
IN OTHER NEWS:
©2022 Cox Media Group