Football player dies from injury suffered during Friday game

PIKE COUNTY, Ga. — Channel 2 Action News has learned Dylan Thomas has died after an injury suffered during a football game on Friday night.

Witnesses said Thomas was taken by ambulance to Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta for surgery. His uncle posted on Facebook that Thomas was in “very critical condition” and is suffering from brain swelling from the injury.

On Sunday night, Thomas' pastor confirmed to

Channel 2 Action News

that Thomas passed away.

Community comes together to pray for football player seriously injured in game

We were there as family and friends gathered for a vigil to pray for the high school football player on Sunday. The Pike County varsity football team carried his jersey onto their home field where hundreds of fans joined them in prayer.

The community rallied in support of Thomas sharing the photo with the hashtag #DylanStrong across social media.

“It meant the world for me. We got guys driving from like three hours away to come over just to see one kid and pray for him," said Thomas' teammate Jake Patterson.

It is unclear where the 16-year-old was hit, but family members told Channel 2 the defensive tackle seemed unfazed by the collision until the second half.

"I heard that he was saying that you know he wasn't really feeling right and that's when his left leg and left arm went numb and he pretty much fell off the bench," his uncle Nick Burgess told Channel 2's Michael Seiden.


Things are not looking good at all. I can't even describe the pain I am feeling. we will know the outcome in 12 hours....

Posted by Nick Burgess on Saturday, September 29, 2018

Another local football player was injured during a game this weekend.

An Atlanta-native football player was rushed to the hospital for emergency surgery after he was injured during a Tennessee State game Saturday.

TSU Tigers middle linebacker Christion Abercrombie was listed in critical condition.

"It was just a football play," said coach Rod Reed Sunday morning on his coach's radio show on WNSR 560-AM/95.9-FM. "He was taking on a block and it wasn't anything malicious or dirty or anything like that. Just an unfortunate situation."