Fulton County

One of Fulton County’s most dangerous fugitives arrested, deputies say

ATLANTA — After years on the run, and a feature on “America’s Most Wanted,” one of Fulton County’s most dangerous fugitives has been rearrested, deputies say.

Maurice Nesbit disappeared in 2017 just days before a jury found him guilty in the killing of his ex-girlfriend, Rashawn Jackson. He was out on bond, and when it appeared that he was going to be found guilty, Fulton County sheriff’s office said Nesbit removed his ankle monitor and vanished.

[PREVIOUS STORY: Emotional testimony in trial of man accused of murdering girlfriend in 2014]

The trial continued in his absence, and Nesbitt was convicted of murder, aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, and possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony. He was sentenced to life in prison, plus five years.

[DOWNLOAD: Free WSB-TV News app for alerts as news breaks]

For years, authorities thought Nesbitt possibly had left the United States but it turned out he didn’t go too far.

Nesbitt was arrested Monday by U.S. Marshals at a Birmingham, Alabama apartment. He was taken into custody without incident, according to the U.S. Marshals.

Nesbitt was captured about a week after he was featured on the America’s Most Wanted TV show.

“We can all breathe a little easier tonight,” said Fulton County Sheriff Patrick “Pat” Labat. “After years of hard work by investigators, a dangerous man is behind bars and off of the streets. I am proud of the hardworking men and women in the Fulton County Sheriff’s Office, the U. S. Marshals Southeast Regional Fugitive Task Force, and all who worked together to provide some measure of closure to the victim’s family.”


He’ll have to appear in jail there for an extradition hearing and once that happens, Fulton County deputies will bring him back to Atlanta where he’ll serve his life sentence in Fulton County.

The deadly shooting happened at the Venetian Hills Apartments in Southwest Atlanta 2014. Jackson’s mother and sister were in the next room, but didn’t see the shooting. They found her lying on the ground with a bullet in her head.

Jackson’s sister, LaToya said, “After a while, the grip from her hand, she just let go. I knew she was gone.”

At least twice, court proceedings stopped as tearful family and friends ran out of the courtroom, uncontrollably crying.

This was not the first time Nesbitt had disappeared from law enforcement. He failed to show up for a plea and arraignment hearing while on bond for the murder. U.S. Marshals and Fulton County Sheriff deputies found him at a Clayton County home a few weeks later.

[SIGN UP: WSB-TV Daily Headlines Newsletter]

Comments on this article