Forsyth County

K-9 takes down man, ending hourslong SWAT standoff

FORSYTH COUNTY, Ga. — After a tense daylong standoff, authorities said they were able to take a man into custody with just minor injuries in Forsyth County.

Families were kept out of their homes on Prestwyck Court near McGinnis Ferry Road for most of the day.

Channel 2's Michael Seiden was at the scene all day Tuesday as SWAT teams from around the area worked to talk the man out of the townhome.

Investigators said the incident began when the suspect called 911 around 9 a.m., claiming that someone had broken into his house in the Whittington Townhomes community.

At some point during that call for help, dispatchers heard the sound of gunfire and that triggered a response from the SWAT team.


“The caller who called 911 wasn’t making a lot of sense over the phone. We heard shots fired during that 911 call and that caused the Sheriff’s Office to respond,” Forsyth County Sheriff Ron Freeman said.

When authorities arrived at the home, the suspect refused to come outside. He fired his gun on three separate occasions, the sheriff said.

“That individual appears to be either under the influence of alcohol or drugs or possibly a mental health issue,” Freeman told Seiden.

Dozens of families left their homes and stood in the heat for seven hours as negotiators tried to convince their neighbor to surrender.

“I didn’t know what was happening. I came downstairs and saw SWAT trucks,” neighbor Kayla Cowart told Seiden.

Kayla’s mother, Fawne Cowart, said she rushed home to make sure her daughter was OK.

“I raced home so that, No. 1, I could get to her. Even though she’s an adult, she’s my kid and I had to get to her,” Fawne Cowart said.

Shortly after 4 p.m., after using robots and tear gas, the SWAT team made the decision to go inside and arrest the suspect.

Late in the afternoon, Seiden reported that pieces of the broken windows and other debris remain in the yard from when the SWAT team stormed the home.

The 42-year-old suspect, who lived in the home, was treated for minor injuries, including a dog bite from a K-9 unit that helped arrest him.

He is expected to be brought up on multiple charges, including aggravated assault.


4:13 p.m.

4 p.m.

3:14 p.m.

3:08 p.m.

2:54 p.m.

1:47 p.m.
Channel 2's Michael Seiden just got a picture from a neighbor of officers at the scene of SWAT standoff.

1:43 p.m.

Forsyth County Sheriff's Office says their crisis team remains at the scene of SWAT standoff

12:44 p.m.

12:42 p.m.

12:40 p.m.

12:38 p.m. 

12:25 p.m.