Father asks for prayers as questions left unanswered in Fort Valley student’s death

FORT VALLEY, Ga. — Investigators returned to a wooded area in Crawford County on Wednesday, a day after a Fort Valley State University student’s body was found four days after she disappeared.

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation confirmed Wednesday the body was positively identified as Anitra Gunn, 23. An autopsy is scheduled for Thursday to determine her cause of death.

Gunn was a graduate of Westlake High School in Atlanta.

Peach County Sheriff Terry Deese said Gunn’s boyfriend, DeMarcus Little, was a person of interest in the case, during a news conference Tuesday evening and had been arrested on unrelated charges.

Little is accused of smashing the windows at Gunn’s apartment and slashing her car’s tires days before she vanished.

Gunn filed a report with police. Police said Little is in custody and “more charges may be forthcoming.”

Officers found Gunn’s damaged car near where she lived. Her wallet was inside the car.

Gunn’s father released a statement Wednesday afternoon thanking everyone for their support.

“Thank you to all who helped search and post and call and prayed for Anitra’s return. We are processing the devastating news and kindly ask for respect and privacy during this time as we wrap our hearts and minds around all of this. Please continue to pray for us as there are no words to describe this hurt. Information regarding services and where donations may be sent will be forthcoming.”

Channel 2’s Tyisha Fernandes went to Crawford County on Wednesday and spoke with members of Little’s family.

Little’s aunt, Lashanda Mathis, said deputies had searched her house, which is a six-minute drive from where they found Gunn’s body. She said her nephew is innocent in this case.

“Yes, no doubt, we know. It’s a fact, baby,” Mathis said. “Forget what the people say. In the end, everyone is going to know the truth.”

On the Fort Valley State University campus in Peach County, Fernandes found students still in shock over the discovery of Gunn’s body.

“Here at Fort Valley State, we are all like a family, so we are all taking it kind of hard,” student Anthony Washington said. “Campus just seems down.”

Deputies are still calling the case a death investigation and said they're still working to figure out what happened

The Crawford County District Attorney’s Office expects Little will have a first appearance in court sometime this week.