Convicted felon shot by Atlanta police after opening fire inside Peachtree Center, injuring 3

ATLANTA, Ga. — Atlanta police said a man shot three people in the food court of Peachtree Center in downtown Atlanta Tuesday afternoon before he was shot by an APD officer.

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation said Jeremy Malone of Morrow, Georgia, a 34-year-old convicted felon, got into an argument inside the food court just after 2 p.m.

Malone shot the person he was arguing with and continued shooting.

Early Friday morning, Malone was booked into the Fulton County Jail on charges including aggravated assault, cruelty to children and more.

[DOWNLOAD: Free WSB-TV News app for alerts as news breaks]

Police said an Atlanta police officer “acted decisively,” placed himself in danger and shot Malone before he could hurt anyone else.

Police identified the victims as a 47-year-old man from Grayson, a 69-year-old woman from East Point and a 70-year-old woman from Atlanta.

Police said Malone has served in prison and has 11 previous arrest cycles.

Numerous police officers and firefighters descended on the building Tuesday afternoon. The building was placed on lockdown. It has since been cleared and foot traffic has resumed in the area.

Channel 2′s Audrey Washington has learned that two of the victims were taken to Grady Memorial Hospital and the other two were taken to Emory Midtown.

Two of the people shot were rushed to the hospital in critical condition. They are now listed as stable.


Channel 2′s Michael Doudna talked to a witness, Kemba Walker Jr., who said he and his girlfriend had just come from the passport office when the shooting started.

“I hear one shot and then I’m thinking somebody dropped something, and then I hear another shot and another shot and another shot,” Walker said. “And then I see people scattering, running around.”

Walker said he shouted for his girlfriend, who was in the bathroom at the time and pulled her into a back room.

“And there’s somebody laying on the ground. They were shooting back and forth, the officers and the person,” Walker said.

Walker said the incident went on for 25 to 30 minutes. He said he heard about 25 gunshots.

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation has been called in to assist.


Comments on this article