ATLANTA — The Atlanta Police Department reported there has been no massive walkout from several police precincts throughout the city despite online rumors saying otherwise.
The department announced in a statement Wednesday night that there were a higher number of callouts, but the city was covered and in no danger:
“Earlier suggestions that multiple officers from each zone had walked off the job were inaccurate. However, department is experiencing a higher than usual number of call outs with the incoming shift. We have enough resources to maintain operations and remain able to respond to incidents throughout the city.”
The rumors came just hours after Fulton County District Attorney Paul Howard announced charges against two Atlanta police officers in the death of Rayshard Brooks on Friday night.
Howard said his office had taken out warrants for former Officer Garrett Rolfe, who was being charged with 11 counts, including felony murder and aggravated assault, criminal damage to property and violations to his oath of office.
Officer Devin Brosnan is being charged with aggravated assault and two violations of oath of office.
Howard said his office concluded at the time of Brooks’ death, Brooks did not pose a threat to the officers. He said Brooks was running away from the officers when Rolfe shot him in the back two times.
FULL RAYSHARD BROOKS COVERAGE:
- New photos released to find woman accused of starting Wendy’s fire during protests
- ‘They shot him down like a dog.’ Father wants justice in killing of Rayshard Brooks
- Witness describes shooting of Rayshard Brooks, says it was ‘worst possible outcome’
- “How many more protests will it take?” Rayshard Brooks family calls for ‘drastic change’ of police department
- 911 call details moments that led up to killing of Rayshard Brooks'
- Tyler Perry to pay for funeral of Rayshard Brooks
- Autopsy reveals Rayshard Brooks died from two gunshot wounds to the back
- Rayshard Brooks’ wife says police have destroyed her family
- DA to make decision next week about whether to charge officer in Rayshard Brooks death
- $10,000 reward for information on suspects who started Wendy’s fire
- DA says felony murder charge on table in Rayshard Brooks shooting after ‘unreasonable’ escalation
- PHOTOS: Mourners set up memorial to Rayshard Brooks outside Wendy’s
- Rayshard Brooks: APD releases body camera footage from deadly Wendy’s shooting
- Atlanta Police Chief Erika Shields resigns after shooting death of Rayshard Brooks
- Multiple protests held across metro Atlanta Sunday
- Timeline: Here’s how protests unfolded Saturday night
- PHOTOS: Protesters rally after deadly police shooting near Wendy’s
- Video released of moment man was shot, killed by police outside Atlanta Wendy’s