911 call details moments that led up to killing of Rayshard Brooks’

ATLANTA — Details about a 911 call that led to the police-involved shooting death of Rayshard Brooks have been revealed for the first time.

Brooks was shot and killed by an Atlanta police officer Friday night in the parking lot of a Wendy’s restaurant along University Avenue in southwest Atlanta.

Channel 2’s Audrey Washington went back out to the restaurant Monday, where she found a growing memorial for the man.

It was a Wendy’s employee that made the initial call to police when Brooks’ car stopped in the middle of the drive-thru line after he passed out.

During the 911 call, the worker told the dispatcher that she tried to wake Brooks up.

“I have a car, I think he’s intoxicated, in my drive thru. I tried to wake him up, but he’s parked dead in the middle of my drive-thru. I don’t know what’s wrong with him,” the employee told the dispatcher.

Atlanta police officers Garrett Rolfe and Devin Brosnan responded to the call and gave Brooks a field sobriety test after waking him up and getting him to move his car out of the drive-thru line.


According to the officers’ body camera footage, one of the officers tried to put Brooks in handcuffs, but Brooks struggled, grabbed one of the officers’ Tasers and ran away.

Brooks then pointed that Taser back at the officers. That's when the video showed Rolfe firing three shots at Brooks, killing the father of three.

“It didn’t have to end that way,” Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms said during an afternoon news conference Monday inside the atrium of Atlanta City Hall.

The mayor got emotional as she talked about Brooks’ death.

“To watch Mr. Brooks on Friday night talking about wanting to go home for his daughter’s birthday — it breaks my heart,” Bottoms said.

Rolfe was fired over the weekend. But Bottoms said she wants more done. She announced the signing of administrative orders to directly address reforms, that relate to use of force, an officer’s response to resistance, de-escalation techniques and a duty to intervene.

In addition to reform, Brooks’ family wants the officer charged.

“No one walking this green earth expects to be killed like trash in the street for falling asleep in a drive thru,” family member Chassidy Evans said.

As for the demonstrators who marched all weekend and outside City Hall on Monday, Bottoms said she shared their frustration and anger.