Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms became emotional and teared up on Monday as she talked about the death of Rayshard Brooks and laid out a list of reforms she’s now working on.
Bottoms told Channel 2’s Audrey Washington that the body camera video of the shooting broke her heart as she held a special address at Atlanta City Hall.
“To watch Mr. Brooks on Friday night talking about wanting to go home for his daughter’s birthday, it breaks my heart,” Bottoms said.
Brooks, a 27-year-old father, was shot and killed by an Atlanta police officer, Friday night.
- Timeline: Here’s how protests unfolded Saturday night
- PHOTOS: Mourners set up memorial to Rayshard Brooks outside Wendy’s
- PHOTOS: Protesters rally after deadly police shooting near Wendy’s
Monday afternoon, Bottoms announced the signing of administrative orders to directly address reforms that relate to use of force, an officer’s response to resistance, de-escalation techniques and a duty to intervene.
The mayor also said that there is a need to take an immediate look at police training policies.
Washington asked Bottoms about the people who held demonstrations and called for justice.
“I am equally mad. I am sad,” Bottoms said. “It didn’t have to end that way. It didn’t have to end that way.”
The officer who shot Brooks has been fired. The Fulton County district attorney said he would have an answer about whether they would file any charges against the officer by midweek.
FULL RAYSHARD BROOKS COVERAGE:
- Autopsy reveals Rayshard Brooks died from two gunshot wounds to the back
- Rayshard Brooks’ wife says police have destroyed her family
- DA to make decision next week about whether to charge officer in Rayshard Brooks death
- $10,000 reward for information on suspects who started Wendy’s fire
- DA says felony murder charge on table in Rayshard Brooks shooting after ‘unreasonable’ escalation
- Rayshard Brooks: APD releases body camera footage from deadly Wendy’s shooting
- Atlanta Police Chief Erika Shields resigns after shooting death of Rayshard Brooks
- Multiple protests held across metro Atlanta Sunday
- Video released of moment man was shot, killed by police outside Atlanta Wendy’s
© 2020 Cox Media Group