• 10 people hospitalized for possible carbon monoxide poisoning

    By: Nefertiti Jaquez


    ATLANTA - Doctors are treating an entire family for possible carbon monoxide poisoning inside a northwest Atlanta home.

    Six adults and four children were taken to the hospital Monday.

    Channel 2’s Nefertiti Jaquez spoke to a relative who said everyone started feeling sick late Sunday night, but at the time they assumed it was food poisoning.

    Emergency crews were called out to Donald Lee Howell Parkway in northwest Atlanta.

    Michael Miles said something didn't seem right when he walked up to his niece's home for a planned visit Monday night and no one was there.

    "It's sad to me. It really is," Miles told Jaquez.

    Jaquez broke the news to Miles that his relatives had been rushed to the hospital hours earlier.


    It happened just before 6 p.m. Monday.

    The Atlanta Fire Department said 10 people, including four children, were transported to Grady Memorial Hospital for possible carbon monoxide poisoning.

    Medics were called out to the home off Donald Lee Hollowell Parkway.

    "Everybody was saying they were sick and throwing up," Miles said.

    In fact, Miles said, he had been at the home late Sunday night when his niece, her husband and their children were complaining about being sick.

    At first, the family thought they had food poisoning or the stomach flu. But then they called 911.

    "I could have gotten sick, you know?" Miles said.

    Officials are trying to figure out what caused the CO leak in the home.

    The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said the best way to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning in the home is to install a CO detector and to replace it every five years.

    Next Up:

  • Headline Goes Here

    10 people hospitalized for possible carbon monoxide poisoning

  • Headline Goes Here

    Man severely burned in fire at gas station

  • Headline Goes Here

    Governor tells Channel 2 he plans to sign hands-free bill

  • Headline Goes Here

    City to open investigation into bonuses, party prizes by former Atlanta mayor

  • Headline Goes Here

    SWAT standoff ends in southwest Atlanta with no one inside the home