Severe storms to move out of North Georgia, drying up overnight

ATLANTA — The severe storms that brought more damage to metro Atlanta, will move out overnight and conditions will be dry by the morning rush on Wednesday.

[RELATED: Monday’s storms leave a trail of damage across Georgia, leaving at least 1 person dead]

Severe Weather Team 2 has been tracking this latest round of severe weather since Channel 2 Action News This Morning, throughout the day and into the evening.

We’ll be tracking the severe storms as they move through metro Atlanta, all evening long on Channel 2 Action News, WSBTV.com and on WSB Now on your Roku, Amazon Fire or Apple TV.

The storms came ahead of a cold front that will move in later Tuesday night.

[DOWNLOAD: Free Severe Weather Team 2 App for alerts wherever you go]

“The rain cooled air we had today, really stabilized the atmosphere and we’re going to see more rain tonight, but nothing in the way of severe storms,” said Severe Weather Team 2 Chief Meteorologist Glenn Burns.

[PHOTOS: More trees, power lines knocked down as another round of storms moves through metro Atlanta]

Here’s what to expect tonight:

  • Rain will continue to move across north Georgia throughout the night.
  • Conditions will dry up over night.
  • The next 5 days appear to be dry.

Storms cause damage across metro

North Fulton County:

As the storms moved through Sandy Springs, Brooke Brown said she knew something was wrong up the street from her River Valley Road home.

“It seemed to be a microburst,” Brown said. “We heard 10 pops, so we knew the transformer had gone, but we didn’t know exactly what had gone on outside, but we have a couple trees down across the line.”

The downed lines forced the closure of the busy road just in time for school dismissal.

Up the street, Channel 2′s Mike Petchenik found more trees down off Bridgewater Drive. One tree came down and damaged part of a house. The homeowner wasn’t there, and nobody was injured.

Georgia power’s outage map shows more than 1,000 customers in the dark after the late-day deluge.

Hall County:

In Hall County, emergency crews said they were called out to Mud Creek Road and Old Cornelia Highway for several calls of trees and power lines down.

Emergency officials said three to four homes in the area were damaged, with most of the damage contained to the roof of the homes.

Crews said one of the homeowners requested assistance from the Red Cross. The organization is providing help to three adults and two children.

There are currently road closures around that area as crews continue to clean up.


South Fulton County:

Workers at some warehouses along Fulton Industrial Boulevard spent Tuesday trying to clear up some of the mess left behind by Monday’s storms.

Some told Channel 2′s Dave Huddleston that they had just seconds to take cover.

“We go the warning and about 30 seconds later, the roof and walls started coming in,” said Drew Ghegan.

He said he and about ten others were inside a 100,000-square-foot warehouse on Westgate Parkway when the storm hit. Thankfully, all of them made it out safely.

The building and many of the supplies housed inside are ruined. Ghegan told Huddleston that he will save what he can and rebuild.

“We’ll continue on and go through the steps and we’re just glad everybody is all right,” Ghegan said.

About a block away on Tradewater Parkway, another massive cleanup effort was underway after several warehouse office buildings were hit.

Work crews battled Tuesday’s rain to clear the street so construction crews and insurance adjusters can see what they’re dealing with.

Fulton County emergency crews and the National Weather Service are also investigating to see what they’re dealing with.

They say it was definitely a tornado that tore through the industrial park and beyond.

“We think the path probably extended another few miles to the east and northeast, so we’re going to past Fulton Industrial all the way to Cascade Road, that area,” said Dave Nadler with the weather service.

Mike Jenkins was inside his office when Monday’s storm hit.

“We just dove into the bathroom or where ever we could that was safe, and it was over quick and we came out to what you see and that was it,” Jenkins said.

Because of the rain Tuesday, most people say the cleanup effort will be delayed, but it could have been much worse.