32-year-old paramedic, mother of 8-year-old killed in deadly Atlanta crash remembered by friend

ATLANTA — New developments in the case of a medical transport driver charged with causing a crash that killed his coworker and another woman.

The driver, John Walker faced a judge for the first time Friday. Walker turned himself in with his attorney Thursday evening.

According to police, Walker was driving the medical transport van Monday.

Police said he was speeding on Campbellton Road in southwest Atlanta when hit a curb, lost control, and crashed into another car that 29-year-old Jada Whatley was driving.

Whatley also died.

[DOWNLOAD: Free WSB-TV News app for alerts as news breaks]

Channel 2′s Tyisha Fernandes spoke with a friend of the paramedic who was killed in the crash.

The friend could barely do the interview, but she pushed through because she wanted people to know that 32-year-old TiQuita Miles was a phenomenal mother, friend, and a person who lit up a room.

“She was basically my sister,” Quesha Goss told Channel 2 Action News.

Goss said she is in denial. She said it was hard for her to believe that a good friend she calls her sister was the paramedic in the back of the medical transport van when it crashed into another car Monday afternoon.


“I was about to get off work and her mom called me,” Goss said. “She was crying and I just kind of like broke down. I just sat there, I probably sat in my car for two hours before I even proceeded to go anywhere because I was kind of in denial. I started calling her phone and texting her and just like asking her to please pick up.”

Miles’ family is having a hard time processing all of this their focus is taking care of her 8-year-old son.

Channel 2 Action News worked to get in contact with Jada Whatley’s family as well.

Walker was charged with two misdemeanor counts of vehicular homicide in the second degree, speeding, and improper/erratic lane change.

A judge set his bond at $22,500 in court on Friday.

[SIGN UP: WSB-TV Daily Headlines Newsletter]