KENNESAW, Ga. — A Kennesaw State University student died after going into distress on campus.
His friends believe it was an sudden allergic reaction, but the GBI says toxicology tests are pending.
According to KSU, Tyler Davis, 20, ate in The Commons Thursday afternoon then sought emergency help. He died within an hour of being rushed to nearby WellStar Kennestone Hospital.
Neighbor Don Miller told Channel 2's Linda Stouffer, "He was a great kid" who had known food allergies.
A prayer request on the Sprayberry High School soccer website says, "He will be missed by many. Tyler was an only child and preceeded by his mother a year ago.
Davis' Facebook page says he was studying coaching at KSU.
Fellow KSU students told Stouffer that they had no idea what happened.
"I feel like they should tell us. I don't have any allergies but if I did I would want to know about that kind of thing happening," said Michelle Topping.
Another student, Andrew McMillan, said The Commons does try to mark allergens.
"There's a thing that says there's dairy in the products and wheat … and they have peanuts, they show signs for all that," said McMillan.
KSU's statement said they are investigating along with the GBI.
"The official cause of Davis' death is not yet known," the statement said.
Toxicology results could take several days at least.
A Memorial Service is scheduled for Saturday at 1 p.m. at Mt. Zion United Methodist Church.
"It's terrible," said McMillan.