Release of new Tyre Nichols video, audio delayed by court order

The planned release of about 20 hours of video and audio related to the deadly police beating of Tyre Nichols earlier this year has been delayed due to a court order, according to multiple reports.

>> Read more trending news

Jennifer Sink, the chief legal officer for Memphis, said at a city council committee meeting on Tuesday that officials aimed to release the new footage on Wednesday afternoon. However, a judge stopped the release on Wednesday, signing an order filed by an attorney representing one of the officers charged with murder in Nichols’ death, the Commercial Appeal reported.

“The court orders that the release of videos, audio, reports, and personnel files of City of Memphis employees related to this indictment and investigation (to include administrative hearings, records and related files) shall be delayed until such time as the state and the defendants have reviewed this information,” the court order read, according to the Commercial Appeal. “The release of this information shall be subject to further orders of this court and, in the public interest, will be ordered as soon as possible.”

A city spokesperson confirmed to WHBQ-TV that video related to Nichols’ death would not be released Wednesday.

Earlier, officials released just over an hour of footage showing the confrontation between Nichols, 29, and officers. Initial reports indicated that police stopped Nichols on Jan. 7 on suspicion of reckless driving, though Police Chief Cerelyn Davis has said that investigators have been unable to find evidence to substantiate the claim.

Video released in January showed officers beating Nichols, hitting him with a baton and punching and kicking him, before leaving him without proper medical care for about 20 minutes. He died three days later at a hospital.

Five officers have since been fired and charged with murder in Nichols’ death. Tadarrius Bean, 24; Demetrius Haley, 30; Emmitt Martin III, 30; Desmond Mills, 32; and Justin Smith, 28; pleaded not guilty to charges in February.

Several other law enforcement officers have also been suspended or fired, Sink said Tuesday.

The Justice Department on Wednesday announced plans to review the Memphis Police Department’s policies and procedures following Nichols’ death. A federal investigation into the beating remains ongoing.