Mom, 6-year-old die in house fire started by cigarette, officials say

Man says wife killed shielding son from flames in house fire

SPALDING COUNTY, Ga. — A woman and her adopted son were killed in a house fire in Spalding County this weekend.

The medical examiner said the fire occurred around 9:30 a.m. Saturday in the 400 block of McIntosh Road.

The victims were identified as Christie Lewis, 44, and Zackuary Walking Star, 6.

Content Continues Below

"She's gone now, so we're going to have to figure something else out," said Jimmy Lewis, Christie's husband.

TRENDING STORIES:

Zackuary was taken to a burn center in critical condition; however, officials told Channel 2 Action News he died Sunday.

The state safety fire commissioner said the fire was started by a cigarette left in a trash can.

Jimmy Lewis said firefighters found his wife on top of Zackuary in an attempt to shield him from the flames.

"She was a good person and a beautiful person and she loved life," he said.

Lewis said he is asking for prayers as he tries to imagine a life without his wife and son.

"I don't want anything like this to happen to anybody. I really don't," he said.