ATLANTA — Thousands of people are stepping up to provide support for the former officer charged with murder in the death of Rayshard Brooks.
More than $250,000 has been raised for former Atlanta police officer Garrett Rolfe’s legal fees, according to the Georgia Law Enforcement Organization.
The nonprofit organization says the “fundraiser is designed to help Officer Rolfe and his family to pay for legal services and general necessities.”
“We spoke to him to get all the details worked out as far as the fundraising goes and obviously to get his blessing on doing the fundraising on his behalf,” said Josh Watson, Georgia Law Enforcement chief operating officer.
- Every Atlanta police officer to receive $500 bonus today from foundation
- Rayshard Brooks: Both officers charged in shooting turn themselves in to police
- Funeral for Rayshard Brooks to take place at Ebenezer Baptist Church
The organization told Channel 2 Action News that more than 2,000 people have donated to the fundraiser.
The Georgia Law Enforcement Organization believes the charges against Rolfe are political.
“Officer Rolfe was involved in the justified shooting of Rayshard Brooks on June 12th, 2020, and he is being used as a political pawn by the district attorney and has been charged with murder,” the organization wrote on its website.
The Atlanta Police Foundation also announced Thursday that every APD officer will get a $500 bonus after $2 million in private money was raised by the foundation.
“We felt like it was important at this time because the morale is at the level... there is the rumor of other officers leaving and we just do not want to lose good police officers,” said Dave Wilkinson with the Atlanta Police Foundation.
“This is not about the mayor’s office against our police officers. It’s not about our communities against our police officers. It’s about how we are thoughtful as to how we work together as a whole,” Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms said.
Rolfe turned himself in to the Fulton County Jail on Thursday where he remains held without bond.
FULL RAYSHARD BROOKS COVERAGE:
- New photos released to find woman accused of starting Wendy’s fire during protests
- ‘They shot him down like a dog.’ Father wants justice in killing of Rayshard Brooks
- Witness describes shooting of Rayshard Brooks, says it was ‘worst possible outcome’
- “How many more protests will it take?” Rayshard Brooks family calls for ‘drastic change’ of police department
- 911 call details moments that led up to killing of Rayshard Brooks'
- Tyler Perry to pay for funeral of Rayshard Brooks
- Autopsy reveals Rayshard Brooks died from two gunshot wounds to the back
- Rayshard Brooks’ wife says police have destroyed her family
- DA to make decision next week about whether to charge officer in Rayshard Brooks death
- $10,000 reward for information on suspects who started Wendy’s fire
- DA says felony murder charge on table in Rayshard Brooks shooting after ‘unreasonable’ escalation
- PHOTOS: Mourners set up memorial to Rayshard Brooks outside Wendy’s
- Rayshard Brooks: APD releases body camera footage from deadly Wendy’s shooting
- Atlanta Police Chief Erika Shields resigns after shooting death of Rayshard Brooks
- Multiple protests held across metro Atlanta Sunday
- Timeline: Here’s how protests unfolded Saturday night
- PHOTOS: Protesters rally after deadly police shooting near Wendy’s
- Video released of moment man was shot, killed by police outside Atlanta Wendy’s
© 2020 Cox Media Group