‘He’s perfect’: Mom of 1-year-old kidnapped in stolen car says he’s doing well after 36-hour ordeal

DEKALB COUNTY, Ga. — The mother of a 1-year-old who was kidnapped when the family’s car was stolen in Clarkston is speaking out.

Deonna Bray told police her car was stolen from outside her home early Wednesday morning with her son, Blaise Barnett, still inside.

The baby was missing for more than 36 hours before a neighbor found him inside a car outside her home, which was less than a mile from where the baby was abducted.

[DOWNLOAD: Free WSB-TV News app for alerts as news breaks]

Police are still working to learn exactly what happened.

Bray held Blaise in her lap when she sat down with ABC News to talk about her son’s miraculous rescue.

“I’m excited that he’s back. I’m so happy,” Bray said.


Bray described the moment she got the call from police that Blaise had been found, and hearing Blaise cooing in the background.

“They said, ‘We got him,’ and I started crying,” Bray said.

Channel 2 Action News was there when a Georgia Bureau of Investigation agent carried Blaise out of the Clarkston home where he was found. The homeowner found Blaise inside her car when she went outside to run errands.

[SIGN UP: WSB-TV Daily Headlines Newsletter]

Blaise was taken to the hospital, where his mother said he was found to be in good health.

“He just got checked out. He’s perfect,” Bray said. “I just felt like the weight was shifting off my shoulders. Now I know my baby’s safe.”

Two hours before Blaise was found, Christ Community Church held a worship and a prayer vigil. Bray said that vigil made all the difference in Blaise’s safe return.

“It was like that prayer was just like the one,” Bray said. “That prayer was the one.”

Blaise is now back home, but police said they are still getting multiple leads in the case and have every officer working on it.

Police said the family initially said they were unloading groceries when the car was taken, but in the interview with ABC, Bray said she was unloading bags of clothes.

Police said they will not investigate that discrepancy, but would not comment any further.

Sgt. Bulcher said the GBI is still helping in the investigation.

“The investigation is still active and ongoing, and we are following up on every lead that we got,” Bulcher said.