• Thousands protest Trump's travel ban at Hartsfield-Jackson

    By: Steve Gehlbach

    Updated:

    ATLANTA - Thousands of demonstrators streamed at Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport, a day after federal judges enacted orders putting partial blocks on parts of President Donald Trump’s controversial executive action on immigration and refugees.

    A group calling itself "A Stand for Refugees and Immigrants" gathered around 4 p.m. at the airport's Domestic South Terminal.

    The crowd stood together in opposition to new government restrictions that have led to the deportation and detention of immigrants.

    “Is being Iranian-American, Libyan-American, Syrian-American a crime here today in Trump’s America? Is it?” asked demonstrator Azadeh Shahshahani.

    Those who came said they couldn't just sit at home and they wanted to show America’s immigrants that they have support.

    “Until we rise up and say that we will not accept this this same thing will continue to happen,” said protester Sara Khaled.

    Late Saturday, Mayor Kasim Reed said on his Twitter feed that the 11 people detained at the airport that day had been released.

    “At @ATLairport right now. All eleven individuals who were detained at Hartsfield-Jackson airport have been cleared & released,” Reed posted about 11:30 p.m.


    TRENDING STORIES:


    The flow of passengers in the main domestic terminals was light and there were no reports of significant flight delays. 

    The actions by Trump’s administration triggered protests at airports across the country.

    A federal judge temporarily blocked part of President Donald Trump’s executive order on immigration late Saturday night following a chaotic day in which foreign travelers from predominantly Muslim countries were detained at Atlanta’s Hartsfield Jackson International Airport and the nation’s other ports of entry.

    On early Sunday, the Trump Administration that it is not backing down on an executive order that is sowing confusion in the nation’s airports, striking a bold tone just hours after a federal judge in New York blocked parts of the decree.

    At 1:26 a.m., the U.S. Department of Homeland Security issued a news release, saying it would comply with judicial orders but that Trump’s actions on immigration “remain in place — prohibited travel will remain prohibited, and the U.S. government retains its right to revoke visas at any time if required for national security or public safety.”

    The Atlanta Journal Constitution contributed to this report. 

    Next Up: