“I died”: Singer Kelly Price reveals that her heart stopped during COVID-19 battle

ATLANTA — Grammy-nominated Gospel singer Kelly Price is speaking out about her battle with COVID-19 days after rumors flew that she was missing.

The singer, who lives in Atlanta, made headlines last week after family members reported that she had vanished. Her lawyer, Kelly Ewing, confirmed to Channel 2 on Friday night that the singer was isolated and recovering from the coronavirus.

[DOWNLOAD: Free WSB-TV News app for alerts as news breaks]

On Monday, Price spoke to TMZ about her harrowing bout with the virus, saying she got so sick that her heart stopped at one point, but doctors were able to revive her.

“At some point, they lost me,” Price said in a video interview. “I woke up some days later and the first thing I remember is the team of doctors standing around me and asking me what year it was.”

“Wait when you say they lost you, can you clarify that?” the interviewer asks from off camera.

“Yeah,” Price said. “I died.”


Price said she went to the hospital after she had been sick with the virus for a week and her symptoms were only getting worse.

Price told the outlet that after she was released, she was monitored by home health care nurses for about four weeks and was still on oxygen. Price said she just tested negative a week ago and is struggling with long-COVID symptoms.

“I am facing a very long uphill battle right now,” Price said. “I’m sorry, I’m going to cry.”

[SIGN UP: WSB-TV Daily Headlines Newsletter]

Price said she has a lot of “internal damage” and a lot of rehabilitation to do before she can perform again. She said she needs to focus on herself and on her recovery.

As for the rumors she was missing, Price told TMZ that she was isolating from her family during her recovery and doesn’t stay in regular touch with them anyway.

“I turned off everything,” Price said. “I wasn’t on social media.

Price said she hasn’t been in the same room with her sister, who expressed concerns that she was missing, in over a year. It’s unclear if her sister was the one who reported her missing.

“That’s not new for us. We had been strained for a very long time,” Price said. “I was never missing. I was in my home. I was being seen by doctors.”

Price said she and her husband both had the virus and were not receiving any visitors other than medical personnel.

“Everyone in my family knew exactly where I was, and I have to say that it’s really disappointing that things came to this,” Price said.

Price’s lawyer would not say if the singer was vaccinated.