DEKALB COUNTY, Ga. — DeKalb County Schools has released it updated guidance for students and staff returning to school this fall. The district’s first day of school is Aug. 2.
“DeKalb County School District is committed to providing safe learning environments for students and staff. DCSD is excited to bring students back to our buildings so that we can continue our mission to provide equitable educational services to meet students’ needs. The District continues to monitor trends in reported cases, including the recently reported increase in the spread of the Delta variant among unvaccinated individuals,” the district said in its back to school protocols.
Channel 2 Action News This Morning has complete coverage of everything you need to know about Back 2 School in your area. From COVID-19 policies, interviews with local superintendents, the latest headlines, weather and traffic, make sure you tune in every morning from 4:30 a.m. to 7 a.m.
[SPECIAL SECTION: Channel 2′s complete guide for back to school 2021 in north Georgia]
Here are the latest protocols for DeKalb County’s 2021-2022 school year:
- All students must wear masks when riding school buses. This requirement is consistent with the CDC recommendations that all persons should wear masks when utilizing public transportation.
- Masks are required for elementary age students due to no availability of vaccines for this age group. Schools will utilize best practices for cafeterias and other areas where it would be difficult for students to wear masks
- Masks are required for middle and high school students as well as for all staff. Although masks for fully vaccinated staff and students (12 and over) are optional per CDC guidance, out of an abundance of caution, masks will be required in all buildings. The district will review effective methods to identify students and staff who are vaccinated and will re-evaluate optional mask wearing.
- Masks are required for all clubs that meet indoors. Masks are optional for activities held outside.
- Masks are optional for athletic sports activities. Masks are required in lockers rooms, and weight rooms. Athletic teams are required to follow all protocols established by the Georgia High School Association for safety at sporting events.
- The district will review effective methods to identify students and staff who are vaccinated and will re-evaluate optional mask wearing. Parents are strongly encouraged to consult with their health care provider for the best vaccine options for their family.
- Staff will continue to utilize the COVID-19 District Protocol when reporting exposure/positive COVID-19 cases.
- Staff or students that present with symptoms of COVID-19 should stay home away from others and seek care from their healthcare provider.
Parents and students can check the Schools and Centers page for your school’s start and end times. Bus routes can be found here.
BACK 2 SCHOOL HEADLINES
- Back to School 2021: Here’s how to check your county’s vaccination rate
- When does my district return to the classroom?
- How to reduce your child’s COVID-19 risk if they’re too young to be vaccinated