ATLANTA — Owners of the Atlanta Falcons and Atlanta United announced Monday that no fans will be allowed at home games through September.
For the Falcons, the decision right now only impacts the Sept. 13 home opener against Seattle Seahawks and Sept. 27 game against the Chicago Bears.
Atlanta United has three home games Aug. 22 against Nashville, Aug. 29 against rival Orlando City and Sept. 2 against Miami. The rest of United’s schedule has not been released.
Watch Channel 2 Action News starting at 4 p.m. as Sports Director Zach Klein breaks down latest on coronavirus and sports.
“The health and safety of our fans is our top priority,” said Steve Cannon, CEO, AMB Sports and Entertainment. “As much as we want to bring our Falcons and Atlanta United fans together at Mercedes-Benz Stadium, their safety and wellbeing, and that of our associates, the competitors, officials and game staff, and our community as a whole will always come first. After thoughtful consideration and collaboration, it became clear to us that adhering to the guidance by national and local health officials was the right decision.”
The Falcons said last month they hoped to have a seating capacity of 10,000 to 20,000 for its first four home games. Mercedes-Benz Stadium can hold over 70,000 fans for football.
When the team decides to let fans in the stadium, the Falcons have put a mandatory mask policy in place along with the rest of the NFL.
- #LetUsPlay: Ohio State QB Justin Fields launches petition to restart Big Ten football season
- SEC commissioner says conference is being patient when it comes to 2020 season decision
Cox Media Group